5.12.07

Anti-Americanism

In the time leading up to my arrival in Germany, I got more and more anxious about encountering a lot of anti-Americanism here. George W. Bush, the War in Iraq, and perceived unilateralism in general have led to fairly negative American sentiment throughout Europe, with Germany appearing to be a stronghold. In Germany, the number of people holding a favorable opinion of America has fallen from 78% in 2000 to 37% in 2006.

I thought I would have to do some winning of "hearts and minds" of my own.

But since I've arrived here I've encountered less anti-Americanism than I expected. I've been met with just about nothing but hospitality. From my first experience out in German society to my arrival here in Rheda to everyone who's helped a slightly confused American understand a schedule, a system, or a tradition, my experiences have generally been positive.

That said, politically, the Germans are, in general, very critical of America and the American government, I do get called "Ami" here, but I generally don't find it offensive at all. Germans do, as referred to in an earlier post, tend to have an image of America developed through media.

But I think what the Germans do understand is that there's a difference between a government and its citizens. Although they are almost all completely opposed to George Bush, they don't take it out on me. It really seems like it's a lot easier for people of different cultures to understand each other with just simple person-to-person contact. Maybe that's why this whole exchange this could be a good idea, after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I've only experienced anti-Americanism twice. During the World Cup, someone yelled "Ami Go Home" at me, but that was just a drunken loser, and when the Iraq War first started, a guy in Berlin was pestering me about why *I* was starting this war. Nothing too serious though.

Kevin said...

Yes, those two instances would be the types of things that I might yet encounter in my year here. Nothing more serious, though.

Drunks will be drunks, and nothing they say should bother anyone.

As far as politics go, there will always be a couple nutcases in any country.

-Kevin