21.8.07

Rheda

Hello, hello! Here I am with my second post from my host family here in Rheda. The last week (and a couple days) has been a whirlwind of activity while at the same time a tremendous experience so far.

Last last Saturday (the 11th) I took a train from Geisenheim (where we had the orientation camp) to Rheda, where my host family was waiting for me at the train station to pick me up. Once we got home we sat in their beautiful backyard garden, ate, relaxed, and got to know each other a little better.

About 36 hours after I first arrived here I got up for my first day of school. Somehow the day before a blood vessel in my eye popped at the local swimming pool. I was ecstatic to be going to school the first day with a slightly swollen, bright red eye. But I figured there wasn't much I could change about it (plus when I smile no one can see my eyes anyway) so I went on to school.



Fabian, my host brother who has awesome hair, and I on the first day of school. Note the apple and sandwich mama packed, and the cultural difference, like the picture with Alex in an earlier post, about when to smile in pictures.

As far as school goes, the kids are in general nice and very hospitable. I don't have any course requirements but I have tests and grades just like any other student there. I'm taking courses in philosophy, music, German, English, education, SoWi (kind of like psychology/economics), computer science, and a beginning Spanish course with the grade below me. I'm also helping teach a 10th grade English class two times a week which is turning out to be a lot of fun. My grade is going on a class trip to Barcelona at the end of September, and it's possible there will be space for me on the bus. The scholarship I'm here with allots a certain amount of money for class trips, but we'll have to see...

There's just so many topics here that I could post about, but that's about it for the overview. Feel free to comment, email, ICQ, facebook, or whatever. Just keep in mind with the comments that this is a very public blog. People of all ages on both sides of the Atlantic check in. Take it easy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kevin, about the blood vessel in the eye. This happens to me, too, and has all my life, a couple times a year. (In fact, I had to go to Drew's wedding with a bloody eye.) Must be something genetic. I've asked doctors before, and they've said not to worry, but I think I will ask again at my next checkup. Hope you get to go to Barcelona. Love, Aunt Ceil